Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Growth

Growth is a word we hear so many times in education; usually, in reference to data.

To me, growth refers to the 20 little people I see everyday who are constantly growing and changing. The kids who couldn't write their name at the beginning of the year who are now growing into fluent readers. The kids who couldn't speak a word of English at the beginning of the year who are now growing into quite the little talkers-in two languages :) Growth even makes me think of the fact that every single day, a new kid has lost a tooth and wants to share this exciting news with me.

The word growth also applies to me. When I was a student teacher, I thought I knew it all. When I was a first year teacher, I was terrified. I went from a classroom with a co-teacher and a full-time assistant to being by myself as a first year teacher with 20 kids (and 1 had Autism). I thought I learned it all in college and would be awesome, and now looking back...I wish I could go back and change everything I did that year. I thought I knew it all, fresh out of college, but now I realize I was pretty much clueless.

When I researched reading strategies my first year and saw the words "Get Your Mouth Ready," I just thought it was weird. I remember thinking "What do you get it ready for? Do you stretch your lips? I don't get it." Thanks to research and professional development, it is probably now the #1 strategy I want my kids to use when reading.

Thankfully, the word "growth" has allowed me to learn and grow and change my practices so that my students get the best they can possibly get everyday and can continue to grow and learn. I have learned from professional development, research, other teachers, Pinterest, and most importantly, personal experience.

I will never stop learning, but I think I have had enough "growth" in the past few years to begin sharing some of my resources and ideas, and hopefully I can help out a struggling new teacher or two :) and most importantly, help out the kids!

Please follow along for tips, ideas, resources, and stories in a Title 1 Kindergarten classroom. Right now I have lots to share for Guided Reading, but I also will post on parent involvement, the 7 Habits for Happy Kids, mathematics, differentiation/inclusion, writing, integrated art projects, science, social studies, and everything in between!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Blog Template by BloggerCandy.com